- In 2018 One Human Community is moving forward with our agenda of preventing poverty and social isolation with educational support, informational resources, books and reading.
- We are welcoming Supporting Members and Volunteers: be a part of something bigger than you by yourself, make a difference, have an impact, establish a reputation, be bigger and better than… None of us stands alone, if you play no role in the community, you miss out. After you die, you’ll join the many who never lived, never left a positive mark on the lives of others.
- We are appealing to the community for book donations and financial support.
- In 2018 we are applying for and becoming 501(c)(3) which will give us the coveted TIN and allow us to expand our work in 2018!
- We are also issuing a Statement To Beneficiaries Of One Human Community.
One Human Community founded by Avo Keshishyan works on preventing poverty by supporting children education and inspiring the love of reading in underprivileged children in San Fernando Valley, CA.
One Human Community was originally created by Avo Keshishyan to help San Fernando Valley residents deal with and recover from financial hardship many experienced in the “new” economy.
In its early stages, One Human Community provided valuable information, support and resources to homeowners at risk of foreclosure; the unemployed desperate for a job and anyone else who has fallen on hard times in San Fernando Valley and beyond. There was also food, clothing and toys for children. Support was provided FREE of charge and FREE of humiliation to anyone who could document their neediness.
Having run One Human Community for over five years now, Avo Keshishyan came to realize that the continuing existence of One Human Community is essential, but its focus has to change.
He learned that some problems (such as the high rate of unemployment and mass foreclosures) were a matter of changing economy. Many families have since either adjusted or recovered. With that said, poverty persists. It is an ever-growing hole that no amount of resources seems to relieve.
That’s why Avo focuses on preventing poverty by supporting education, promoting reading and community building, now. After much soul-searching he concluded that supporting education and promoting reading are the best ways to not only prevent poverty and eventually relieve it, but to end social isolation and bring the community together. A supportive community can best address its needs.
Families that live at – or below – poverty level understandably have to fight to survive and that fight takes most of the parents’ time. It leaves their school-age children to their own devices after school. Having the right tools, incentive to read and access to reading materials stimulates learning. Without them, children of struggling families under-perform in school and eventually end up as minimum wage earners. Were the very same children given appropriate tools their scholastic performance would improve. College education would be within their reach. College graduates earn better salaries. Providing tools that support education and encouraging reading will effectively break the cycle of poverty.
- The first priority and immediate focus of One Human Community is supporting education.
- The second, to involve the community at large in reading.
- The third, to create a supportive community. (A supportive community is to a large degree self-sufficient. There is an open dialog. Older members can help the younger ones. The young can help the old. Books, love of reading and discussing materials already read are effective community building blocks.)
- The fourth priority of One Human Community is strengthening ties with government agencies and the business community as well as making the transition from a grassroots movement (an informal association) to a formal non-profit organization.
Regardless of the changes, One Human Community will remain true to its founding ideals. FREE support, resources and referrals for struggling homeowners, job seekers and others suffering financial hardship (who can document their neediness) will continue being available for as long as the demand for them exists.
PLEASE NOTE: One Human Community and One Human Community’s Website don’t invite political conversation; our goal is to strengthen the community, prevent and relieve human suffering in Los Angeles area through education, informational resources, books and reading.